I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 19 July 2017

The Riverside, Stratford-upon-Avon (South Stratford/River Avon) – Tuesday 18th July

It was nice being stern on to a pontoon on such a hot night as we were able to leave the front doors open.

I had some food shopping to do so we walked into town.  You can almost see the Sainsbury Local from the boat.  Of course I had to have a look at the food in M & S too, which is just opposite and next door to Sainsbury is Poundland!
  



We had a quick coffee in The Encore - well actually it wasn’t quick as the service was appalling.  It was the back to the boat and a break from the heat of the basin.  We went down the lock and on to river where we moored up under a willow tree beside the park.  The park was very busy and from my vantage point on the boat I could see a seat.  I thought I might write a book entitled “A day in the life of a park bench”!  Each time someone got up someone else would sit down and I just loved watching all the different people who were enjoying some respite from the sun under the willow tree.



We took our chairs and sat under the willow tree too and read.  Muffin had a great afternoon sniffing all the dogs who passed and walking up to the people for a stroke.  I didn’t like to say that he had just been sniffing a dog’s bottom before they stroked his nose!
  


The view from the other side of the boat is the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the dressing rooms.  In the early evening we saw actors in costume on their balconies – we didn’t spot anyone famous.

There were lots of people out rowing – most of which hadn’t the foggiest idea of what they were doing – it was quite entertaining really.  I’m glad we are a steel boat and and not a plastic one.
  


The floral displays in Stratford are wonderful – by far the best, I think, I’ve ever seen in a British town.  In fact Stratford has its own Stratford in Bloom competition.  The website says “One of the many things the town is known for is its magnificent gardens, beautiful flower beds and colourful hanging baskets.  Stratford in Bloom is dedicated to enhancing the beauty of Stratford-upon-Avon through the floral features and gardens, both public and private.  Residents and businesses are encouraged to enter our annual competition with prizes for allotments, community awards, schools, small & large businesses, front and rear gardens, wildlife and pollinator friendly gardens.”  I just wish I had taken some photos of the wonderful hanging baskets.
  




0.17 miles
1 lock

No comments:

Post a Comment